Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Happy May! This weekend is Mother's day and I want to dedicate this blog to my mother. Dorothy Johnston. I am who I am because of her. I have the greatest memories of my childhood and she is a part of each one. I should tell you about her for those who do not know her. She is an amazing woman. She could do everything! Cooking, canning, gardening, sewing, reading, music, crocheting, painting, helping others, church service, community service, chaufeur, teacher, hiking, swimming, camping--so much more.
     I have great memories of moments spent doing things with my mama. When I was young our TV went out....old thing with large tubes in the back. It was several months before we got a new one. In the evenings after dinner we sang around the piano. I learned to sing harmony very young. She would play and my sister and I would sing. Old songs! I love the old songs!
     My mom wanted us to learn to cook and sew. I remember a few lessons...I remember being grumpy by the time the learning moment was over...So, I think, to make it fun she started a 4-H group. I was in 4-H for 10 years!(She later became one of the longest serving 4-H leaders in Arizona!Even after we all left home, she continued to serve as a leader.) She taught us and many neighborhood kids to cook and sew. We had crafts that we learned. We had party's--Halloween parties, where are house became the spook alley and our yard was filled with tables of fun home carnival fun times. I loved the "come as you are" early morning breakfasts! We would show up early on a Saturday and pick up all the girls in the neighborhood for a pancake breakfast in our pajamas! So much more!
   My parents drove Datsuns and Nissans (small cars!)...they were always crammed packed with kids! Way before seatbelt laws were in effect!We sang and drove  kids to church, school activities, 4-H activties and trips to the lake.
    I love to read and that is because I saw her reading. I love to garden because she gardened. I learned about music because my Mama knew music. I love music because of her!
       I could go on and on about things my mother taught me! But the final thing I will mention is the greatest gift of all. My mama has a testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and of his gospel. She taught us to pray and to love the Savior, to respect our life that God blessed us with and to serve others as he would.
    Everything I do as a mother I do because she was and is my mother. I love you, Mama!

No comments:

Family trials have been taking my time lately.  See you at a future date!